Helpful Hints To Smooth Out Your Escrow
  • Any inquiries to the escrow holder must be made by you, the principal to the transaction, or your realtor. Your attorney, accountant, ex-spouse or relatives are NOT entitled to information without definite written instructions from you authorizing the escrow holder to do so.
  • If you are a widow or widower, will the property need to be probate? If the property is not subject to probate, an Affidavit Death of Joint Tenant will have to be drawn and file with a Certified Copy of the death certificate of the spouse. If you don't have a copy of the death certificate, don't delay, get one as soon as possible.
  • If you are married, your spouse will need to either execute a Quitclaim Deed relinquishing their interest in the property or join in executing the Grant Deed.
  • If you are under a trust agreement, a Trust Certification, executed by the trustees, is always required by title. In the event there has been a change in trust, a complete copy of your trust agreement and any amendments to the trust are also required. In the event of the trustee, a copy of the death certificate is also required.
  • The more information regarding how you presently hold title, or how you wish to hold title, or any changes you want to make should be given to escrow or your real estate agent as soon as possible.
  • Warning- If the property is in a brush area, a California Fair Plan insurance policy will need to be obtained. This can take up to six weeks to obtain in some cases. Let your escrow officer know as soon as possible to avoid any delays.
  • If you wish to have your proceeds wired at the close of escrow, you will need to deposit into escrow written instructions that contain the following:
  • Name on account
  • Account number
  • Bank name and location
  • The ABA routing number
For your protection, escrow cannot accept verbal or facsimile instructions.